ACTION ITEM: Pass H.R.5244 – Mashpee Wampanoag Tribe Reservation Reaffirmation Act
GOAL: Protect tribal sovereignty and tribal land
DEADLINE: on going
WHAT’S HAPPENING: The Mashpee Wampangoag tribe in Eastern Massachusetts, the tribe most of us know as the ones who fed the Pilgrims through their first winters, is in danger of losing their reservation land including a school and a housing project, as well as other benefits of being recognized as a sovereign nation. The easiest way to stop this is for the federal government to reaffirm that the land belongs to the tribe. William Keating has introduced a bill in Congress but it needs more co-sponsors and more attention from other states.
WHAT YOU CAN DO: Call your congressperson and tell them to stop breaking treaties with Native American Nations, and to reaffirm the land trust. Richard Neal (MA-1) is the only Massachusetts rep that hasn’t signed on to co-sponsor this legislation. If he is your rep ask him to support it. If you have a different MA rep, thank them for their support and ask them to reach out to Neal. If you don’t live in MA please ask your MOC to sign on in support. List of current co-sponsors.
ADDITIONAL READING & INFO:
- Globe article by tribal leader
- 2:30 minute video about the government’s decision and the Nov 15th demonstration in DC
- Mashpee Wampanoag Tribe welcomed Pilgrims, but loses land on eve of Thanksgiving
- The Native Americans Who Saved the Pilgrims Could Lose Their Land, Again
TO REACH YOUR MOCs:
- Reach MOCs via the Capitol Switchboard: (202) 224-3121
- Look up your elected senators and reps.
- Use Faxzero to send free faxes from your computer to your Senator or Congressperson.
- Use Resistbot to send faxes to your senators right from your phone.: Text the word “RESIST” to 50409.