Hello and welcome to the weekend. I hope each of you is enjoying the day to the fullest. Sounds like we’re in for a stretch of humid and rainy weather, so today may be the last day to get out in the sun for a while. (Our gardens will be happy, though!) Meanwhile, the world keeps on spinning and so do the liars in the White House. The Helsinki debacle set us all back on our heels (though—really—was anyone truly surprised?), and after that, the rest of the week was kind of a blur. BUT … there are still happy headlines to be found, and we’ve collected a few of our favorites to share with you.
Enjoy & be strong!
In local good news:
Protesters get creative: Protesters Stage ‘Die-In’ At Harvard Museum To Criticize Namesake’s Link To Opioid Crisis
- No press coverage yet, but word on the street in CD-1 is that Representative Richard Neal has finally agreed to debate his primary opponent Tahirah Amatul-Wadud. About time.
- S. 2610, An Act promoting net neutrality and consumer protection was engrossed on Thursday by a vote of 37-0. (It’s not the full deal, but it’s a start.)
- After the Helsinki insanity, several groups organized impromptu protests and vigils, including in Ipswich and Newburyport.
There’s also some good news on the elections front.
And here are a few good things happening on the social, civil, and economic equality and justice fronts:
- Someone Called Authorities on 13-Year-Old Jaequan Faulkner’s Hot Dog Stand … but this one has a happy ending!
- Solidarity: Tribe presents giant bear totem with hope for unity, Bears Ears restoration
- And in the Karmic Justice category: Man who berated woman for her Puerto Rico T-shirt gets slapped with 2 hate crime felonies and Woman who hurled racial slurs at Black women on freeway in viral video gets fired
- THIS is what Democracy looks like: PHOTOS: Net neutrality supporters protest at Congressional offices nationwide and deliver letter signed by nearly 7,000 small businesses – The events are being coordinated by Demand Progress and Fight for the Future, two national grassroots groups working to restore open internet protections.
- Coming soon to a theatre near you: The Hate U Give Aims to Create Empathy While Offering a Portrait of Why Black Lives Matter
- FCC sends Sinclair mega-deal to likely doom – The FCC’s decision is a significant blow for Sinclair, which has been a frequent target for Democrats and liberal groups.
- The outcome of this “practical joke” is actually frightening, but we think it’s good news that artists can still create these kinds of works: Watch Sacha Baron Cohen Dupe Gun Lobby in ‘Who Is America?’ Clip – Well-disguised comedian convinces active congressmen to support arming preschoolers in first clip from Showtime series
- More from across the pond: ‘Love America, Hate Trump.’ Inside Today’s Massive Anti-Trump Protests in London
- And in response to 45’s treasonous Helskini “performance,” there were a mass of protests, and many got quite creative, including #OccupyLafayetteSquare protests, which have been pretty fantastic.
- “Cos we’re fabulous and we’re angry” – A group of Drag Queens were some of the first-time protesters joining the women’s anti-Trump march. (Yaaaassss, Queen!)
- GOP congressman introduces bill to reinstate net neutrality rules – Rep. Mike Coffman (R-CO) also signed onto a Democrat-led measure to restore the 2015 Open Internet Order
We’re also hearing some promising news on the Russia/Stormy/Campaign Finance/etc. investigation:
- Flake supports Dem demand for notes from Trump-Putin meeting
- Russian woman arrested in Washington, accused of acting as Russian government agent
- Fox News Hosts Bash Trump’s ‘Disgusting’ Putin Presser
And in miscellaneous, fun, and slightly snarky good news:
- Stephen King Zings Donald Trump And Vladimir Putin With George Orwell Quote – The author picked a very specific line from “Animal Farm” to describe the two world leaders.
- Black Panther’s Sister Shuri Is Getting Her Own Comic Book Series & It’s Happening So, So Soon. (Yes, yes, YES!!!)
- Trump’s Face Is Now The First Result When You Google ‘Idiot’
- All bow to the Queen and her crafty way of throwing some shade: Queen Elizabeth wore brooch the Obamas gave her as Trump arrived in the U.K.
- Someone got creative with some alterations on a Fox News billboard.
- And then there was this gem: Finnish Newspaper Targets Trump And Putin With Giant Billboards Lauding Free Press
- The Edinburgh Festival Theatre also had a direct message for 45 and Putrid Putin
- The Trump Baby Blimp Is Coming To America – Organizers in New Jersey raised $4,500 for the balloon in less than a day.
- Teen Vogue, we love you.
- Great story about women helping women: She Gave Millions to Artists Without Credit. Until Now.
- This isn’t news, but came across this awesome clip of a Bruce Springsteen concert … and it’s too joyful and sweet not to share.
“Mass State House Dome”: Photo Credit: twiga_swala Flickr via Compfight cc“Planet Earth”: From Morguefile
“Planet Earth”: From Morguefile
“I Voted”: standing8 Flickr via Compfight cc
“Blind Justice”: Government of Prince Edward Island Flickr via Compfight cc
“Russia Sickle”: AK Rockefeller Flickr via Compfight cc
“Snark Kitty”: Gratisography