Hello and happy weekend. It’s been another whirlwind week, closing with more Mueller indictments and the gorgeous sight of hundreds of thousands of our fellow resisters from across the pond taking over the streets in a massive demonstration against 45 and everything he stands for. It’s so nice to know that we’re not alone. (And it’s also nice to know that Bob Mueller continues to make headway in untangling the mess of conspiracy, treason, and straight-up crime boss shenanigans that is our current administration.)
While we are just gearing up for the fight of our lives over the SCOTUS seat, reeling from the president’s heinous behavior at the NATO meeting, and shaking our heads over his disrespectful treatment of the Queen of England (seriously, this guy has NO manners), we have to remember to take a little time out to acknowledge the Good Things that are happening as well. (There are big stories like the Thai cave rescue, and intimate stories like the one about 78-year-old Al Dornan who walks every day for dreamers and immigrants.)
So, avert your eyes from the dumpster fire of a presidency with which we are currently saddled, and turn your attention to this week’s happy headlines. You deserve a break from the endless barrage of WTF stories. Take a deep breath, and let it all go for just a moment or two. You’ll feel better, and you’ll be better able to jump back into the fray.
For a more eloquent bit of inspiration, check out E.B. White’s beautiful letter to a man who had lost faith in humanity from Brainpickings.
In local good news:
- Huge Win: Massachusetts Senate passes automatic voter registration
- Pittsfield School Committee stands by decision to rename Columbus Day
- And here’s a feel-good story about kids using art and science to good purpose: By design: Creating toys for kids with cerebral palsy
- While it’s not a done deal yet, word on the street is that Speaker DeLeo will bring the “NASTY” bill to the floor for a vote that would eliminate archaic abortion laws that are still on the books here in Massachusetts.
- Starbucks is eliminating plastic straws from all stores
- Ireland Expected To Become World’s First Country To Divest From Fossil Fuels
- In a stunning victory for the finger lakes region, controversial gas storage project is halted
- California slashes emissions, hits major greenhouse gas goal years early
There’s also some good news on the elections front.
- London Breed is sworn in as San Francisco’s first black female mayor
- Rhode Island Passes Bill to Keep Trump Off 2020 Ballot If He Doesn’t Release Tax Returns
- Bereaved mom McBath pushes gun control as she bids to win Georgia seat for Democrats
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Wins Another Primary… as a Write-In Candidate… in a District She Wasn’t Running In
And here are a few good things happening on the social, civil, and economic equality and justice fronts:
- Huge crowds assembled in the UK to protest 45’s visit to the British Isles. Here are a few of the best protest signs from the London rally. And here’s some footage of the baby Trump balloon launch.
- While the Queen couldn’t get out of meeting with His Orangeness, other leaders managed to slip away unscathed. For instance: the Scottish leader decided to kick off a Pride parade instead of meeting with Trump
- Elon Musk Pledges to Pay for Clean Water to Homes in Flint, Michigan [Updated: Not sure if this is actual good news or just another PR stunt. Not only did Musk muck up his offer to help rescue the Thai soccer team, there’s now a new breaking story: Elon Musk revealed as one of the largest donors for a House Republican PAC. Not cool, Elon. Not cool at all.]
- Judge Rejects Long Detentions of Migrant Families, Dealing Trump Another Setback
- A federal judge just ordered the Trump administration to pay immigrant families’ reunification costs
- Former ICE Chief Counsel Gets 4 Years In Prison For Stealing Immigrants’ Identities
- Hundreds of protesters shut down part of a major Chicago interstate in march against gun violence.
- After backlash, Scarlett Johansson drops out of the film that cast her as a transgender man
We’re also hearing some promising news on the Russia/Stormy/Campaign Finance/etc. investigation:
- 12 Russian Agents Indicted in Mueller Investigation (As one clever Twitter citizen put it, “Oh, *now* I understand. It’s a ‘-vich’ hunt!”)
That’s all we’ve got on Russia this week, but we think it’s enough.
And in miscellaneous, fun, and slightly snarky good news:
- A Family Of Woodchucks Ate Paul Ryan’s Car (Even the animals are doing their part for The Resistance.)
- Poll: Obama tops list ranking best president in Americans’ lifetime
- Sometimes people do change their minds: Once Militantly Anti-Abortion, Evangelical Minister Now Lives ‘With Regret’
- Mitch McConnell Heckled Out of Restaurant for Second Time in Two Days – A crowd of protestors played Public Enemy’s ‘Fight the Power’ and shouted “no justice, no peace” (More from the Washington Post)
- Trump’s Personal Driver for 25 Years Sues for Unpaid Overtime
“Mass State House Dome”: Photo Credit: twiga_swala Flickr via Compfight cc“Planet Earth”: From Morguefile
“Planet Earth”: From Morguefile
“I Voted”: standing8 Flickr via Compfight cc
“Blind Justice”: Government of Prince Edward Island Flickr via Compfight cc
“Russia Sickle”: AK Rockefeller Flickr via Compfight cc
“Snark Kitty”: Gratisography