FOCUS: Women’s health, a woman’s right to choose, healthcare
GOAL: Get the “NASTY Women Act” (S 2260) to the floor of the House for a vote
DEADLINE: Let’s welcome DeLeo back from the holiday by flooding his phone lines between now and next week
In January the Massachusetts Senate voted unanimously to pass Harriet Chandler’s “NASTY Women” Act (S 2260, “an act Negating Archaic Statutes Targeting Young women”). This act repeals archaic anti-choice laws that include an 1800s ban on all abortions, a state requirement that all non-emergent abortions after the twelfth week of pregnancy be performed in a hospital, and a ban on contraception use for unmarried couples.
Obviously, these ancient laws are woefully out of date; but because Roe v Wade rendered them unconstitutional, the laws were not repealed, and were instead left in place. However, with the resignation of Justice Kennedy from the United States Supreme Court, there is a very real risk that Roe v Wade could either be overturned directly, or will simply be eroded by an overly conservative court. In either case, it’s not at all prudent for Massachusetts to have laws on the books that could potentially be enforced if the national ruling was changed.
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
- Call your State Rep to ask them to have leadership bring to a vote.
- Reach your reps via the State House Switchboard: (617) 722-2000
- Look up your elected senators and reps in the Massachusetts State House.
- Suggested Script: Hi, my name is ___________, and I am a constituent from [city/zip]. I’m calling today to urge Representative ___________ to ask House leadership to bring S2260 (known as the NASTY Women Act) to the floor for a vote. The Senate passed this act unanimously, and it’s time to get these archaic laws off the books in Massachusetts, especially now that Justice Kennedy has retired. Will Representative _________ commit to doing everything he/she can to ensure that this act is passed before the session ends?
- Call and email Jeffrey Sanchez, Chair of House Ways and Means Committee, and ask him to report on S2260 and release it for a vote in the House.
- Email: Jeffrey.email@example.com
- Call and email Speaker DeLeo’s office and ask that he bring S2260 to the floor of the House for a vote.
- Phone: 617-722-2500
- Fax: 617-570-5705
- Email: Robert.DeLeo@mahouse.gov
- Bonus: Use social media to further pressure Sanchez and DeLeo.
ADDITIONAL READING & INFO:
- From the Telegram (Jan 2018): Chandler’s ‘NASTY Women’ bill passes Senate
- From MassLive (Jan 2018): Massachusetts senators approve ‘NASTY Women Act,’ repealing ‘archaic’ abortion laws
- From Rewire (May 2018): When Will Massachusetts Democrats Undo the State’s ‘Archaic’ Reproductive Rights Laws?
Image Credit: State Senator Harriette L. Chandler – D-Worcester. [Photo/Sam Doran/SHNS]