FOCUS: The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
GOAL: OPPOSE HR 620
DEADLINE: Act Now
We need all hands on deck to help. The anti-ADA bill, HR 620, has passed the House, which would effectively gut the ADA by eliminating the ability for complainants to go into court to get more immediate compliance with requirements, eliminate cash damages against noncomplying institutions/ individuals, and minimize and perhaps eliminate penalties for noncompliance. This will have a devastating impact on the people who rely on ADA accommodations to live their daily lives.
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
This bill is now under consideration in the Senate. We need to get loud on this and create more buzz. We’re asking you to:
– Call Elizabeth Warren- (202) 224-4543 and Edward Markey- 202-224-2742 and ask them to oppose this bill.
–Ask friends (in other states especially) to call their senators and oppose this bill.
–Tweet out your support for the ADA and opposition to this bill.
Rally: If you can, please attend a rally to protect our ADA on the South Shore in Quincy on Monday, March 12. For event details, click here.
ADDITIONAL READING & INFO:
For more information about what’s at risk if this bill passes, see: The GOP’s H.R. 620 will gut the Americans With Disabilities Act, pushing disability rights back to 1989
TO REACH YOUR MOCs:
1. Reach MOCs via the Capitol Switchboard: (202) 224-3121
2. Look up your elected senators and reps.
3. Use Faxzero to send free faxes from your computer to your Senator or Congressperson.
4. Use Resistbot to send faxes to your senators right from your phon.: Text the word “RESIST” to 50409.
TO REACH YOUR MA REPS:
1. Reach your reps via the State House Switchboard: (617) 722-2000
2. Look up your elected senators and reps in the Massachusetts State House.