Happy anniversary of the Women’s March, everyone!
This weekend, the people of the Resistance will be marching again, still standing up for justice and equality and all the things that truly make this country great.
To help you get inspired, here’s this week’s collection of Good News headlines to prove that while much of what you read and hear out there may make you want to tear your hair out and spit nails, there are Good People doing Good Work and Good Things are happening.
So, carry on with your bad, resisting self.
You’re doing GREAT!
In local good news:
- Earthjustice just notched a big win in the multi-pronged fight to keep motorized vehicles out of Adirondack Park’s most pristine areas.
- Toyota Calls Off EPA Partnership Under Pressure From Environmentalists—The plan to hire the automaker to overhaul internal practices at an agency that regulates it drew fire from former EPA officials and watchdog groups.
- Iceland bans plastic: UK Supermarket chain becomes first in the world to remove plastic packaging from ALL its own-label products
- This actually makes us both sad and angry, but it’s also gratifying to know that some people have decided not to play along with Ryan Zinke’s charade: Citing ‘Inexcusable’ Treatment, Advisers Quit National Parks Panel
- Michigan established regulations pertaining to fluorochemicals polluting drinking water supplies and is suing Wolverine World Wide to recoup costs associated with a drinking water contamination investigation.*
There’s also some good news on the elections front.
- A Year Ago, They Marched. Now a Record Number of Women Are Running for Office
- Unexpected defeat in rural Wisconsin special election sets off alarm bells for Republicans
- A record-breaking 31 House Republicans won’t seek re-election in 2018
- The US Supreme Court will hear a case on discrimination in TX redistricting.†
- Democrats in Wake County (NC) announced they have at least one candidate running in every one of Wake County’s House and Senate districts.*
And here are a few things happening on the social, civil, and economic equality and justice front:
- A.G. Schneiderman Files Suit To Stop Illegal Rollback Of Net Neutrality
- … and Schneiderman isn’t the only one—over the course of the week, a flurry of lawsuits were filed to fight the repeal of Net Neutrality.
- The Internet Association, a trade group representing giants like Google and Facebook, announced it is suing the FCC over the repeal of net neutrality.#SaveNetNeutrality*
- Also: The Senate’s push to overrule the FCC on net neutrality now has 50 votes, Democrats say
- While we’re not 100% sold on Flake, he is doing a pretty bang-up job of telling it like it is when it comes to 45 and “fake news.”
- We’re not happy to hear this was happening, but we are happy when justice is served: L.A. County sheriff’s deputy is charged with selling drugs and offering to hire other cops to protect dealers
- Booker Slams Homeland Security Secretary for Saying She Didn’t Hear Trump’s “Shithole” Remark—“Your silence and your amnesia is complicity,” he told her.
- In the #RealWomen category: Airbrushing Meets the #MeToo Movement. Guess Who Wins.
- Nice to know we’re not all watching Fox: The Rachel Maddow Show Just Had Its Best Ratings Week Ever
- Jeff Bezos gives ‘Dreamers’ $33 million to pay for college
- In December, six senators introduced a bipartisan bill to protect American elections from foreign hacking.†
- The first tribal recognition bill in decades passes both houses, granting formal status to six tribes in Virginia.†
- In a letter, 100 US CEOs appealed for protection of Dreamers.†
- Adam Rippon is first openly gay male athlete to compete in the Winter Olympics for the U.S. Olympic team #LGBTQPride*
We’re also hearing some promising news on the Russia investigation front:
- Though we wouldn’t necessarily classify it as good news, some plots are coming to light that may implicate the NRA in a Russian collusion scenario that would potentially put the entire GOP at risk. Wow.
- Someone looks to be having a bad day: Hungarian Police Have A Warrant Out For Former Trump Adviser Sebastian Gorka
- Mueller is looking into some unusual Russian Embassy Bank activity … I wonder what that could be about …?
- And some people are reporting that Robert Mueller is just getting started.
- Meanwhile, Congress had a little chat with 45’s old chum, Steve Bannon … Oh – and Bannon was also subpoenaed in Mueller’s Russia investigation.
And in miscellaneous, fun, and slightly snarky good news:
- Who rules the world? Girls! New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is set to be the second elected world leader to give birth while in office – and the first to do so in almost 30 years. Go, mama!
- Meet the woman confronting public figures with their immigrant histories—Jennifer Mendelsohn uses census records and ship manifests to put anti-immigrant hypocrisy on blast with #resistancegenealogy Nicely played, Ms. Mendelsohn. Nicely played.
- We know people come in all shapes and sizes, and we believe everyone is beautiful; but people are a little confused by some of stats accompanying 45’s recent health checkup—specifically his height and weight. Sports Illustrated was so incredulous about the claims that they curated a series of images comparing the POTUS to athletes purported to have similar measurements. The contrast is striking.
- Mike Pence Turned Beet Red During MLK Service as Black Preacher Went Off About ‘Shithole’ Remarks. From the article, “Everyone in the black community knows that there are three people who can dismantle your soul and crush your spirit using nothing but words: the oldest barber at any barbershop, a black mother whose child forgot to take the chicken out of the freezer and—worst of all—a black Baptist preacher …Apparently, Pence has no black people on his staff or in his circle of friends because one of them would probably have told him that going to the historically black church founded the year after the creation of the Emancipation Proclamation was probably a bad idea.”
- The Word ‘Shithole’ is Being Projected Onto Trump’s DC Hotel
- Trump criticism dominates Chuck Grassley town meeting in rural Iowa
“Mass State House Dome”: Photo Credit: twiga_swala Flickr via Compfight cc“Planet Earth”: From Morguefile
“Planet Earth”: From Morguefile
“I Voted”: standing8 Flickr via Compfight cc
“Blind Justice”: Government of Prince Edward Island Flickr via Compfight cc
“Russia Sickle”: AK Rockefeller Flickr via Compfight cc
“Snark Kitty”: Gratisography