FOCUS: Environmental – Carbon Pricing
GOAL: Get S. 1821 (An Act Combatting Climate Change) voted favorably out of commission.
DEADLINE: Feb 7th
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
Add your voice and urge your representatives to act on strong climate change legislation, especially S.1821, which enacts revenue-positive carbon pricing. 80% is rebated to residents while 20% is invested in green infrastructure, with a carve-out for low-income communities. This bill enacts revenue-neutral carbon pricing. Every state resident receives an equal rebate, and employers get rebates based on their number of employees.
Your calls and emails are particularly valuable if your representative sits on the committee controlling these bills. Check out the list here, but even if your rep is not on the committee, they still need a call.
ADDITIONAL READING & INFO:
- S.1821 – go here to read the text of the bill and check to see if your rep has signed on to support. If they have ask them to work towards getting the bill out of committee.
- Read the LWV of MA’s overview of the bill.
- Read the testimony supplied by the LWV of MA in favor of the bill.
TO REACH YOUR MOCs:
1. Reach your reps via the State House Switchboard: (617) 722-2000
2. Look up your elected senators and reps in the Massachusetts State House.