FOCUS: Sen. Markey’s resolution on Net Neutrality, that, if passed, would overrule the FCC’s recent vote to change rules on Net Neutrality
GOAL: For the Senate to overrule December’s FCC vote to rescind Net Neutrality
DEADLINE: As soon as you can
WHAT’S HAPPENING: The Net Neutrality fight is currently in the Senate where 50 Senators (all 49 Dems, and Susan Collins, R-Maine) have signed on to co-sponsor a Congressional Review Act (CRA) resolution of disapproval. This legislative measure would only need a simple majority in order to pass, thereby overruling the 3-2 FCC vote that took place in December repealing FCC rules on Net Neutrality. Our own Senator Markey, an longtime advocate for net neutrality, has been instrumental in crafting this CRA.
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
1) Call your Senators to thank them IF they have already signed on to co-sponsor the Net Neutrality CRA Resolution of Disapproval, or, to ask them to support the Net Neutrality CRA Resolution of Disapproval IF they have not signed on to co-sponsor the bill.
2) Reach out to friends and family members in other states, and have them do the same.
Again, All 49 Democratic Senators have signed on to co-sponsor this bill, as well as Maine’s Republican Senator Susan Collins. The resolution only needs 51 votes to pass.
ADDITIONAL READING & INFO:
- Sen Markey’s Press Release on the Net Neutrality Resolution: https://www.markey.senate.gov/news/press-releases/markey-net-neutrality-resolution-reaches-40-vote-milestone-in-the-senate
- WaPo coverage with the more up-to-date numbers on co-sponsorship: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2018/01/15/the-senates-push-to-overrule-the-fcc-on-net-neutrality-now-has-50-votes-democrats-say/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_fcc-815pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.586475612233
TO REACH YOUR MOCs:
1. Reach MOCs via the Capitol Switchboard: (202) 224-3121
2. Look up your elected senators and reps.
3. Use Faxzero to send free faxes from your computer to your Senator or Congressperson.
4. Use Resistbot to send faxes to your senators right from your phon.: Text the word “RESIST” to 50409.