FOCUS: Gun Safety
GOAL: Take Action for Gun Safety
Did you know that 88 people die every day from guns in America? Or that there have been 49,334 gun incidents in America this year alone?
Instilling Gun Safety in our country will take active work by every day people. Check out the resources below for what you can do.
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
Visit 30 gun reform actions you can take right now, including making a couple pledges:
- Pledge to ASK one question that could save your child’s life
- Pledge to support only candidates who will fight to reduce gun violence
- Take action to stop murder insurance
Educate yourself on gun suicide. Did you realize that access to guns in acute moments of crisis increases the likelihood that someone will commit suicide? “Studies show that most attempters act on impulse, in moments of panic or despair. Once the acute feelings ease, 90 percent do not go on to die by suicide.” – HSPH Professor of Health Policy David Hemenway, the ICRC’s director. As the article explains, “Many lives would likely be saved if people disposed of their firearms, kept them locked away, or stored them outside the home. ”
ADDITIONAL READING & INFO:
TO REACH YOUR MOCs:
1. Reach MOCs via the Capitol Switchboard: (202) 224-3121
2. Look up your elected senators and reps.
3. Use Faxzero to send free faxes from your computer to your Senator or Congressperson.
4. Use Resistbot to send faxes to your senators right from your phon.: Text the word “RESIST” to 50409.