FOCUS: Puerto Rico
GOAL: Help get money and resources to Puerto Rico
The situation in Puerto Rico in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria is critical. The destruction caused by Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico is comparable to the devastation caused by Katrina. We need to activate all voting U.S. citizens to demand that the federal government, through FEMA, significantly increase its response on the ground – and that The Jones Act is waived so foreign ships can get resources to the island – immediately.
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
(1) Call the Capitol switchboard at 202-224-3121 and follow the prompts to reach your Senator/Congress Member. Fill out the blanks and read the script when the staff answers the phone or leave a voice message. Repeat tomorrow.
“Hi, my name is [NAME], I am a voting constituent living in [CITY/TOWN] and my zip code is [ZIP CODE #].
I’m calling to urgently request that [YOUR SENATOR / CONGRESS MEMBER’S NAME] please call FEMA to demand an immediate deployment of additional rescue and relief resources to Puerto Rico after the devastation caused by Hurricane Maria. The destruction caused in Puerto Rico by Hurricane Maria has been significant, comparable in scale to Katrina. The federal government’s response needs to be increased immediately. We cannot allow a Caribbean “Katrina” to unfold. The safety of 3.5 million U.S. citizens is at stake. Will [YOUR SENATOR/CONGRESS MEMBER’S NAME ] contact FEMA to ensure the additional aid Puerto Rico needs arrives immediately?
I’d also like to request [SENATOR/CONGRESS MEMBER] to urge the Department of Homeland Security and the president to waive The Jones Act for 12 months to allow foreign ships to stop in Puerto Rico to offload goods. This will expedite getting aid and relief to Puerto Rico. Can I count on [him/her] to do this? Thank you so much for your time.”
(2) Donate / Volunteer:
ViequesLove GoFundMe (also has an updated “Safe list”)
ADDITIONAL READING & INFO:
TO REACH YOUR MOCs:
1. Reach MOCs via the Capitol Switchboard: (202) 224-3121
2. Look up your elected senators and reps.
3. Use Faxzero to send free faxes from your computer to your Senator or Congressperson.
4. Use Resistbot to send faxes to your senators right from your phon.: Text the word “RESIST” to 50409.