It’s been another week full of headlines that make us shake our heads in confusion, disgust, and disbelief. And yet, you soldier on. Thank you, and congrats on reaching the part of the week when we share some Good News headlines that will hopefully have you nodding as you read, and muttering things like, “Hell, yeah!” and “It’s about time!” and “I knew there were still some good people out there in the world.”
As the song says, “Don’t stop believin'” … good things are still happening out there!
In local good news:
- China Fossil Fuel Deadline Shifts Focus to Electric Car Race
- Portland Now Generates Electricity From Turbines Installed In City Water Pipes
- The world’s newest marine sanctuary off Easter Island now protects 142 species.*
- Think Halloween candy: Mars has committed $1B to stop the climate crisis.*
There’s also some good news on the elections front.
- Democrats Flip State House Seats In 2 Districts That Trump Won By Double Digits – New signs a wave may be building.
- Democrat flips GOP House seat in Laconia-Belmont special election – Community activists square off: Charlie St. Claire defeats Steven Whalley
- Women are Making Virginia Matter in 2017
- Since last November 15,000 women have expressed an interest in running for office.*
- Virginia opts for paper ballots over touch-screen voting machines.*
And here’s what’s happening on the social, civil, and economic equality and justice front:
- Federal Judge Blocks Sessions’ Move to Punish Sanctuary Cities – The ruling is the second blow in two weeks for Republicans’ crusade against sanctuary cities.
- Gillibrand, Collins unveil new proposal to block Trump’s military transgender ban
- Congress Rejects Trump Proposals to Cut Health Research Funds
- Supreme Court temporarily lifts restrictions on Trump travel ban
- Anthem Demonstrations Include a Show of Unity in Cleveland
- The Senate Is One Step Closer to Funding Family Planning Services for Women Worldwide. But There’s a Catch.
- FY2018 Labor, HHS & Education Appropriations Bill Gains Subcommittee Approval – Senate Again Increases Funding for NIH Research & Opioid Abuse Fight, Pell Grants
- With refreshing bipartisan cooperation, five governors advocate for ACA stabilization.*
- Chicago officer convicted for using unreasonable force.*
- Free press reigns. Charges dropped against reporter who questioned Tom Price.*
We’re also hearing some promising news on the Russia investigation front:
- Mueller’s Russia investigation keeps digging. The president’s aides are next.*
And in miscellaneous, fun, and slightly snarky good news:
- Martin Shkreli Sent to Jail After Threatening to Take Hillary Clinton’s Hair – Shkreli was out on $5 million bail ahead of, and during, his federal trial for securities fraud.
- Miss Texas delivers a stronger response to white supremacy than Trump – A beauty pageant contest appropriately shut down the president when it comes to dealing with racists
- HEMINGWAY HOUSE – THE KITTIES ARE OKIrma Spares Key West
* Hat tip to Jen Hofmann
“Mass State House Dome”: Photo Credit: twiga_swala Flickr via Compfight cc“Planet Earth”: From Morguefile
“Planet Earth”: From Morguefile
“I Voted”: standing8 Flickr via Compfight cc
“Blind Justice”: Government of Prince Edward Island Flickr via Compfight cc
“Russia Sickle”: AK Rockefeller Flickr via Compfight cc
“Snark Kitty”: Gratisography