This week’s Independence Day holiday took on new meaning for many this year as we confront major upheaval in our country’s government. And, though Congress has not been in session, there’s been no shortage of news headlines. While there are plenty of scary stories hitting the printed and digital pages, there are also some hopeful ones; and those are the stories we’re sharing here today – all the good bits that made us cheer, smile, or even (because everyone needs a little comic relief now and then) giggle.
So, before we dive into a new week, we hope you’ll take a minute to remind yourself that it’s not all bad. Also, we’re right here with you … navigating this crazy scene one day at a time.
Thanks for being here. We’ll see you on Monday!
In local good news:
- Maura Healey to the rescue again: 18 States Sue Betsy DeVos And Education Dept. Over Delay Of Borrower Defense Rule
- From AP News: “Several states are seeking to join a legal challenge to a Trump administration decision to keep a widely used pesticide on the market despite studies showing it can harm children’s brains.” And – no surprise – our warrior AG Maura Healey is right up front on this one.
- Did I mention Healey is on fire?!? From the Boston Globe: Healey and nine other AGs demand data on immigration arrests
- From the Berkshires – Frances Crowe, a 98-year-old pipeline protester, shows how it’s done. From the article, “This is a serious business we’re involved in. This is the future of life on the planet. Are the corporations going to rule the future, or will people rise up and say no?”
- France to end sales of gasoline, diesel vehicles by 2040
- Trump wants fossil fuels to dominate. Nevada is betting on solar – Several new laws are reinvigorating renewable energy in Nevada.†
There’s also some good news on the elections front.
- Report from Fairfax County VA Democratic Committee School Board endorsement meeting – 7 candidates ran for democratic endorsement for school board, while the republicans had one.*
And here’s what’s happening on the social, civil, and economic equality and justice front:
- Texas Republican Blocks State’s Bathroom Bill: “I Don’t Want The Suicide Of A Single Texan On My Hands” Wait … what? Yep. For real.
- Oregon approves measure requiring insurers to cover abortion
- DC is the first in the nation to implement allowing people in the US to choose X as their gender marker instead of male or female on driver’s licenses.*
- Germany passed a law that imposes severe fines, starting at $5.7 million, on social media sites that do not remove illegal hate speech within 24 hours of it being flagged.*
We’re also hearing some promising news on the Russia investigation front:
- From the WSJ: Special Counsel Robert Mueller Taps Broad Range of Talent for Russia Probe – Lawyers hired are known for their work in national security, public corruption and financial crimes. This guy is not messing around.
And in miscellaneous, fun, and slightly snarky good news:
- Republicans Asked For ‘Obamacare Horror Stories’ And It Didn’t Go As Planned
- Also, the RNC made the mistake of asking Hillary Clinton where her health care plan is – and Clinton responded.
- Honestly, I wasn’t sure where to put this one … from Smithsonian Magazine: Hobby Lobby Hands Over 5,500 Illegally Imported Artifacts – In 2010, the arts-and-crafts retailer purchased thousands of cultural artifacts smuggled from Iraq
- ‘Zombies’ descend on Hamburg for G20 protest – super creative way to make a statement.
- Totally random, but here’s something fun: New Maurice Sendak Picture Book Discovered
- Time asks Trump Organization to remove fake cover from golf clubs†
- Chicago installed a gold statue in front of Trump Tower that says “REAL FAKE” as part of an art installation.*
- In case you missed it, the NYT published a full page of each and every lie 45 has uttered since taking the oath of office.
“Mass State House Dome”: Photo Credit: twiga_swala Flickr via Compfight cc“Planet Earth”: From Morguefile
“Planet Earth”: From Morguefile
“I Voted”: standing8 Flickr via Compfight cc
“Blind Justice”: Government of Prince Edward Island Flickr via Compfight cc
“Russia Sickle”: AK Rockefeller Flickr via Compfight cc
“Snark Kitty”: Gratisography