FOCUS: The natural beauty and treasures of our National Monument parks and marine reserves
GOAL: Stop 45 and his minions from downsizing these protected spaces in a move that many believe is a response to pressure from fossil fuel and other lobbyists who want to open up these lands to drilling, fracking, pipelines, and logging.
DEADLINE: THIS WEEK!
Final comment deadline: July 10th.
In a move with very few precedents, Trump ordered the review of 27 national monuments (including 5 marine monuments). Environmental groups are alarmed by this move, which seems to indicate that these beautiful and ecologically important spaces may be in very real jeopardy.
To further complicate the matter, there are very real concerns that this move is at least in part motivated by the administration’s desire to appease big business and the oil industry by opening these areas to logging, drilling, and other environmentally damaging activities.
Leave a comment on the Department of Interior’s public comment page.
Tell them that these natural and wild spaces are not theirs, but ours. Tell them that these monuments need to be preserved and protected as part of our legacy for our children and their children and so on for countless generations. Tell them that the natural world is a fragile ecosystem, and they can’t expect to keep exploiting pieces of it without ultimately and inevitably destroying all of it. Tell them that you care more about protecting these lands and the plants and creatures that live on them than you do about the profits of fossil fuel and other huge corporations.
You can also mail your comments to:
MS-1530, U.S. Department of the Interior
1849 C Street NW.
Washington, DC 20240
Bonus Points: After you send your comments or letter, make a call to the Department of the Interior and tell Secretary Zinke why he must protect our public lands: 888-454-0483
In addition, there are a number of groups collecting petition signatures including:
- From the Sierra Club: Don’t Let Trump Axe Giant Sequoia National Monument!
- Ocean Conservancy
- National Parks Conservation Association (NPCA)
- Also from NPCA, this petition to uphold rules against drilling in national parks
- The Wilderness Society (specifically about the Maine monuments)
- The Audubon Society is also sending comments
Finally, as always, it’s never a bad idea to reach out to your members of Congress (links to find them below) and let them know how you feel.
ADDITIONAL READING & INFO:
- From the LA Times: Here are the national monuments being reviewed under Trump’s order
- Center for American Progress: Are Industry Interests Behind President Trump’s Attack on National Monuments?
- Washington Post: Trump orders review of national monuments, vows to ‘end these abuses and return control to the people’
- National Geographic: What You Need to Know About Trump’s National Monument Rethink
- Wilderness Society: UPDATE: These are the national monuments Trump is targeting
- CBS SF Bay Area: Trump Order May Open California’s Giant Sequoia Nat’l Monument To Development
TO REACH YOUR MOCs:
1. Capitol Switchboard: (202) 224-3121
2. Link to look up your elected senators and reps
3. Faxzero to send free faxes from your computer to your MOCs:
Fax Your Senator
Fax Your Congressperson
4. Resistbot: Type the word “RESIST” in a text message to 50409 to send faxes to your senators right from your phone.