GOAL: Voice your opposition to the GOP’s so-called “healthcare” bill
DEADLINE: NOW – time is running out. Possible Senate vote this Thursday!
Item 1: Call the Senate Finance Office (202 224 4515)
The Senate Finance Office is keeping count of Americans requesting public hearings on Senate ‘healthcare” bill.
This is a quick and easy call – Just dial the number and when you get someone on the line say that you are calling to request that public hearing be held on the GOP’s “healthcare” bill. The person answering will need only your zip code.
Item 2: Use the TrumpCare Ten tool to locate your Facebook friends from ten key states and then reach out to them and ask them to call their senators.
This is so easy, and it has the potential to make a big difference as GOP Senators are wavering.
Just visit the TrumpCare Ten tool, and click the links under each of ten state icons to see a list of all your Facebook friends in each state. Then, you can message them or tag them to make sure they are aware of how important it is to call.
Copy and paste the staffer info for each state from the staffer guide and send that along in your message so that your friends don’t even have to look anything up – it’ll all be right there at their fingertips.
The Senate is trying to do what the House of Representatives did in May: jam through its TrumpCare bill in secrecy, without public hearings, without a Congressional Budget Office (CBO) score, and without knowing its full impact on American families.
TrumpCare bill (American Health Care Act, or AHCA) would strip coverage from at least 23 million people and cut Medicaid by $800 billion, in order to give hundreds of billions of dollars in tax breaks to the wealthy and corporations. It would also undermine critical protections for people with pre-existing conditions, defund Planned Parenthood, and raise premiums for American families.
The next few days are critical, and indications are that the fight will come down to key Senators in 10 states. Make your voices heard.
ADDITIONAL READING & INFO:
- From Salon: How Republicans quietly sabotaged Obamacare long before Trump came into office
- From NYT: Senate Health Bill Reels as C.B.O. Predicts 22 Million More Uninsured
- From NYT: You’re Probably Going to Need Medicaid
- From the Center for American Progress: Senate Repeal Bill Would Still Eviscerate Coverage and Protections for People with Pre-Existing Conditions
TO REACH YOUR MOCs:
1. Reach MOCs via the Capitol Switchboard: (202) 224-3121
2. Look up your elected senators and reps.
3. Use Faxzero to send free faxes from your computer to your Senator or Congressperson.
4. Use Resistbot to send faxes to your senators right from your phon.: Text the word “RESIST” to 50409.