GOAL: Put pressure on the GOP to hold public hearings on their abysmal “healthcare” bill (aka massive tax cut for the super wealthy disguised as healthcare reform)
DEADLINE: The sooner the better … the clock is tickin’
Today’s action is a three-parter: one part outrage and resistance to – surprise! – two parts gratitude.
PART 1: Per Daily Action’s advice for folks with Democratic Senators:
If both of your Senators are Democrats, today’s Daily Action is to call the GOP members of the Senate’s Health, Education, Labor & Pensions (or HELP) Committee at 202-224-5375 and demand that they do their job and commit to holding public hearings on the healthcare bill.
- Call them out for the secrecy of this bill-writing process – this secrecy is only possible because they have obeyed Mitch McConnell and refused to do the job they were sent to Washington to do.
- Call them out for making Senate history because in the history of the Senate there has never been a committee that has failed to hold a single hearing on legislation of this magnitude when that issue was clearly within their jurisdiction.
- Call them out for failing at bipartisanship. Several members of this committee have gone on TV to “talk the talk” on how a bipartisan solution would be ideal — but the very reason why they are refusing to go through the Committee process is because the Committee is bipartisan.
- Call them out for being hypocrites – they went on and on about the immaturity and irresponsibility of the House process and are doing the exact same thing themselves.
- And finally, at the END of the call, ask them why we need this Committee in the first place? Because if we can tackle major healthcare legislation without the Committee, it’s a frivolous body that should be dissolved.
PART 2: Thank Senators Warren and Markey for their all-nighter.
On Monday night, Senate Democrats began using some of the tools at their disposal to slow down the process on the GOP’s secret repeal and replace plan for the ACA. Our MA senators both participated. Today, call Senator Warren and Senator Markey to thank them for their efforts so far and encourage them to keep up the good work:
Senator Elizabeth Warren
- Washington Office: (202) 224-4543
- Boston Office: (617) 565-3170
- Springfield Office: (413) 788-2690
Senator Edward Markey
- Washington Office: 202-224-2742
- Boston Office: 617-565-8519
- Springfield Office: 413-785-4610
- Fall River Office: 508-677-0523
PART 3: Thank Governor Charlie Baker
Governor Baker was one of seven governors to officially oppose the GOP’s healthcare reform bill in a letter to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and Minority Leader Chuck Schumer last Friday.
Call Charlie: (617) 725-4005 and let him know you appreciate him standing up for a better process.
And thank YOU for making the time to make these calls. They really do matter!