GOAL: Light up those lines. Send those emails. Tweet. Make legislators listen!
DEADLINE: Today. This is a long haul. Consistent, persistent calling is key.
In yesterday’s healthcare action item, we shared the Trumcare Toolkit, the letter to Mitch McConnell from Save My Care, and info on contacting Senator Hatch.
TODAY’s actions are all about a few of the excellent resources that Indivisible has published. Did you know that Indivisible is running an event today called Stop #TrumpCare Senate Call-In Day? They are, and they have all kinds of easy ways for you to participate:
Item 1: Check out this handy staffer info page that features names, numbers, and emails for all the staffers handling healthcare for senators. To get started, here is the information for our own, MA senators offices:
The Senate is debating a bill to repeal the ACA in secret, a bill that could steal healthcare from 23 million people. Phone calls can make a big difference, so join us in calling Senators Warren and Markey urging them to vote against this cruel bill. The script is here, comment if you call and let’s make 50 calls today!”
When you call, ask for the Senator’s legislative assistant who handles health care for the Senator. Often times, you’ll be put through to that person’s voicemail. Leave one. And then use the information below to send a follow-up email.
Script: I am concerned there are no public hearings on the healthcare bill. I am asking for the Senator to *withhold consent* on all Senate business until Republicans agree to hold a public hearing on TrumpCare.
For more detailed scripts, you can check out Indivisible’s script page.
Sen. Edward Markey (D)
Senior Policy Adviser
Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D)
- Share this post with other MA friends and ask them to call.
- Share the Indivisible Healthcare Staffers page with ALL your friends so they can all call!
Item 2: Use the TrumpCare Ten tool to locate your Facebook friends from ten key states and then reach out to them and ask them to call their senators.
This is so easy. Just visit the TrumpCare Ten tool, and click the links under each of ten state icons to see a list of all your Facebook friends in each state. Then, you can message them or tag them to make sure they are aware of how important it is to call.
Copy and paste the staffer info for each state from the staffer guide and send that along in your message so that your friends don’t even have to look anything up – it’ll all be right there at their fingertips.
The Senate is trying to do what the House of Representatives did in May: jam through its TrumpCare bill in secrecy, without public hearings, without a Congressional Budget Office (CBO) score, and without knowing its full impact on American families.
TrumpCare bill (American Health Care Act, or AHCA) would strip coverage from at least 23 million people and cut Medicaid by $800 billion, in order to give hundreds of billions of dollars in tax breaks to the wealthy and corporations. It would also undermine critical protections for people with pre-existing conditions, defund Planned Parenthood, and raise premiums for American families.
The next few weeks will be critical, and indications are that the fight will come down to key Senators in 10 states. Make your voices heard.
ADDITIONAL READING & INFO:
- From NYT: The Senate Hides Its Trumpcare Bill Behind Closed Doors
- From NYT: You’re Probably Going to Need Medicaid
- From the Center for American Progress: Senate Repeal Bill Would Still Eviscerate Coverage and Protections for People with Pre-Existing Conditions
- From the Washington Post: The Senate’s three tools on health care: Sabotage, speed and secrecy
- From the LA Times: While you watched Comey, Senate GOP moved to cripple healthcare (and California moved to expand it)
- From NYT: Republicans’ Secretive Plan for Health Care
OPTIONS FOR REACHING YOUR MOCs:
1. Reach MOCs via the Capitol Switchboard: (202) 224-3121
2. Look up your elected senators and reps.
3. Use Faxzero to send free faxes from your computer to your Senator or Congressperson.
4. Use Resistbot to send faxes to your senators right from your phon.: Text the word “RESIST” to 50409.