GOAL: Show support for S.215 An Act to promote and enhance civic engagement
- Monday, June 12th @ 6:30PM: An evening with Rep. Linda Dean Campbell in Haverhill
- Tuesday, June 13th @ 10AM: Hearing at the State House
From the League of Women Voters of Greater Haverhill re: the Monday evening forum:
Forum with State Rep. Linda Dean Campbell
We hope you can join this event and hear from MA representative Linda Dean Campbell about the important legislation supporting civic education in Massachusetts schools. The forum is sponsored by LWVGH in cooperation with other area organizations including Greater Haverhill Indivisible.
There is a civic education proposal under consideration in the Massachusetts House and Senate supported by the League and sponsored by Linda Dean Campbell and Harriet Chandler, respectively. It makes sure that civics is taught in the schools and “requires every student to complete no less than 2 student-led civics projects administered in 2 separate grade levels as a graduation requirement and integrated into existing course curricula.” There will a hearing about this bill on June 13th at the MA House.
The forum will be held at the UU Church of Haverhill
16 Ashland St.
Information re: the State House Hearing:
Hearing scheduled for 06/13/2017 from 10:00 AM-01:00 PM in A-1
If you’re unable to attend either of these events, you can call or email your support and stories to members of the Joint Committee on Education:
- Senate Chair: Sonia Chang-Diaz – (617) 722-1673 – Sonia.Chang-Diaz@masenate.gov
- Senate Vice Chair: Patricia D. Jehlen – 617-722-1578 – Patricia.Jehlen@masenate.gov
- House Chair: Alice Hanlon Peisch – 617-722-2070 – Alice.Peisch@mahouse.gov
- House Vice Chair: Chris Walsh – 617-722-2070 – Chris.Walsh@mahouse.gov
Statement from Representative Campbell on the LWV Facebook page:
Civics is defined as the study of the rights and duties of citizenship. To simplify, it is the understanding of how our government works and how someone can be an active and engaged citizen. In 2010, two-thirds of students had scored below proficient on the national civics assessment and no significant change has occurred since. This is why I have filed a piece of legislation, H.2016, An Act to promote and enhance civic engagement, which aims to establish a civics project based education requirement for students who attend public schools in Massachusetts.
This bill will be presented at a hearing in front of the Joint Committee on Education at 10am on June 13th in State House room A-1 where I will also be testifying on its behalf. I am encouraging all supporters to come to this public hearing in support of providing a well-rounded civics education to the children of the Commonwealth.
ADDITIONAL READING & INFO:
- From 97.9 WHAV: State Rep Linda Dean Campbell to Hold Local Forum on Education Legislation
- Bill S.215 on MA Legislature site
- Representative Linda Dean Campbell’s site
- Joint Committee on Education