Hello, fellow resistance folks!
Happy Memorial Day weekend.
As we emerge from the wreckage of another crazy week in the alternate reality that some newscasters refer to pseudo-affectionately as “Trumpland,” I imagine you might feel a little worn down and beat up. We get it. Just reading the headlines (never mind the stories) can make your head explode.
There are, however, always some good news stories to be found; and this weekend post is where we share some of our favorites in the hopes that they will brighten your day and remind you that – while it may sometimes feel like it – all is not lost. Good work is being done. Battles are being won. And, there are still SO many kind people in the world.
Thanks and enjoy the weekend. We’ll see you on the other side!
Elections … we’ve had a few:
- Democrat Edie DesMarais won a New Hampshire state house race Tuesday evening, making it the first seat to flip since President Trump was elected.
- NY’s 9th Assembly District Flips To Democrats; Pellegrino Defeats Gargiulo (Also covered in the NYT)
- And because every election matters – no matter how small: 2-vote difference ousts incumbent selectman in Washington
You might have also heard the news that Democratic candidate Quist lost to body-slammer-of-reporters and GOP-supported candidate Gianforte in the Montana race, and you might be disappointed. But, even that storm cloud has its silver linings:
- This article in the NYT shows that the state was much less red in this election than in the 2016 presidential election, so … that’s progress.
- And this article shows the massive inequity in spend by the two candidates … the fact that the GOP had to outspend Quist by such a huge amount in order to win seems to be a good sign.
- Finally, some pundits think that Gianforte will wind up being more of a liability for the GOP than an asset. (Oh, and here’s another person who also thinks Gianforte will be a huge headache for Paul Ryan.)
In other news…
- State Reps.’ bill blocks sheriff from sending prisoners to help build Trump border wall
- Appeals Court Will Not Reinstate Trump’s Revised Travel Ban
- Nevada Legislature passes proposal to overturn Citizens United
- U.S. Quietly Lifts Limit on Number of Refugees Allowed In
- More than 685,000 comments in support of Bears Ears National Monument
- Joe Lieberman Reportedly Out of the Running for FBI Director
And here are a few items adapted from Jen Hofmann’s weekly “Action Checklist for Americans of Conscience.” You can sign up here: http://bit.ly/2gZuVZR … it’s free and it’s fabulous.
- The EPA received over 55,000 comments—a majority of which oppose repealing protections for people and planet.
- Rep. Ted Lieu proposed legislation to make the president reimburse self-profiting expenses from travel.
- Official plans announced to fix VW diesel engines that cause pollution.
- LA mayor will uphold Paris Agreement, even if the US backs out.
And, in other miscellaneous Happy News:
- Luxembourg’s Openly Gay First Husband Just Posed With A Bunch Of First Ladies And People Are Loving It
- Justin Trudeau rocks some super fun socks in his first meeting with newly minted French President, Macron