FOCUS: Healthcare (Saving the ACA … again)
GOAL: Protecting public health spending in the new budget
DEADLINE: Immediately (Vote could be as early as Wed, 4/26!!)
Call your 2 US Senators and 1 US Representative and ask them to oppose any version of the administrations American Health Care Act (AHCA).
Find a handy script here, created by someone in the Action Together Network.
If you don’t already have your members of congress (MOCs) on speed dial, you can locate them at Contacting Congress.
The GOP’s first attempt to repeal the ACA was an unmitigated disaster, but they are ready to make a second run at this ill-advised effort – this time with a bill that’s even worse than the first one.
Vox reports that the new bill appears designed to appease staunchly conservative “Freedom Caucus” and will do (among other things) the following:
– Allow states to opt out of offering coverage for Essential Health Benefits (EHBs) such as doctor trips, hospital stays, maternity care, and mental health services.
– Allow insurers to charge people with pre-existing conditions much higher premiums.
– Implement a “high-risk pool” that will be grossly underfunded based on the number of people who will actually need care.
And, this new AHCA plan will still toss tens of thousands of people off healthcare, leaving them high and dry.
ADDITIONAL READING & INFO:
– Vox Article: House GOP members are floating a new health plan. Here’s what’s in it. http://bit.ly/2oOpDrq
– Analysis: Moderate Republicans Also to Blame for Health Care Impasse – http://bit.ly/2nEtKr5
TO REACH YOUR MOCs:
1. Capitol Switchboard: (202) 224-3121
2. Link to look up your elected senators and reps.
3. Faxzero to send free faxes from your computer to your MOCs:
Fax Your Senator
Fax Your Congressperson
4. Resistbot: Type the word “RESIST” in a text message to 50409 to send faxes to your senators right from your phone.