From the Jewish Alliance for Law and Social Action: Right here, in Massachusetts, over 1,000 immigrants this year will be detained in Boston’s South Bay Detention Center. Those up to now protected by DACA are facing deportation.
Below you will find some actions you can take right now to stand up for immigrants.
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
1) Deadline Tuesday June 12 – Sign this letter, either as an individual or an organization, to ask the State Budget Conference Committee members to include these basic provisions in the final budget that is sent to the Governor:
* No police inquiry about immigration status,
* Stop collaboration agreements with ICE,
* Provide basic due process protections and,
* Refuse to contribute to any discriminatory registry
2) Come to the State House steps on Wednesday, June 13 at 10:30 a.m. – Organizing Rally and march inside the State House to deliver the sign-on letter to our elected leaders about how we must support immigrants in these challenging times by including these budget provisions. This event will include singing, testimony, prayer and a presence outside the Governor’s office. Clergy especially encouraged to join. Bring photos of loved ones who are immigrants (on letter sized paper – not anything bigger).
3) Volunteer to accompany immigrants facing detention and deportation – Join the Boston Immigration Justice Accompaniment Network (BIJAN), an interfaith network of 300+ volunteers who are accompanying immigrants in detention to court to support family members and help in other ways. Write to us at email@example.com for more information about how to volunteer.
4) Legal assistance – 60% of the people detained by ICE at the South Bay Detention Center in Boston have no legal representation, and therefore have no real chance of being released. Non-immigration lawyers can volunteer to be trained and coached by immigration lawyers to assist immigrants desperately seeking to get out of detention and return to their families. Contact the Jewish Alliance for Law and Social Action at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about how to use your legal skills to help.
5) Rally against family separation at the State House on Thursday, June 14, 2018 at 1:00 PM – Join with us as to stand up for immigrant children and their families.
TO REACH YOUR MOCs:
1. Reach MOCs via the Capitol Switchboard: (202) 224-3121
2. Look up your elected senators and reps.
3. Use Faxzero to send free faxes from your computer to your Senator or Congressperson.
4. Use Resistbot to send faxes to your senators right from your phon.: Text the word “RESIST” to 50409.
TO REACH YOUR MA REPS:
1. Reach your reps via the State House Switchboard: (617) 722-2000
2. Look up your elected senators and reps in the Massachusetts State House.