FOCUS: Tax Reform
GOAL: Convince some Republicans to vote against the next iteration of the GOP’s hot mess of a tax reform bill
DEADLINE: Today. Right now. There’s NO time to waste!
In case you missed it – the GOP started the weekend off with a bang by passing their atrocity of a tax reform bill in the wee hours of Saturday morning. The beast was some 500 pages long. No one was given time to read it. Senators were marking the crap out of it in hurriedly scribbled amendments throughout the night. With no consideration for standard Congressional process (or, indeed, for any kind of process), the GOP rammed this terrible and incredibly unpopular piece of legislation through the Senate, grinning smugly the whole time.
This was definitely not a good day for those of us in the Resistance.
BUT … all is not lost, at least not quite yet.
You see, the proverbial fat lady hasn’t sung yet. Sure, she’s warming up, but she cannot take the stage just yet. Now that the House and the Senate have passed their respective bills, they must go into reconciliation to try and hammer out the differences. Vox did a piece that compares some of the major differences between the two versions of the bill. And, after that, the whole mess still need to be signed by 45 … and who knows what will be happening in the Oval Office by the time Congress gets themselves sorted out. I mean, what with Mueller following up his Manafort Monday with Flynn Friday. Who knows, indeed?
A helpful Daily Kos post provides more detail:
“Right now a lot of people who don’t know any better are saying: DAMN, the bill passed the House and it passed the Senate and now there is nothing we can do to stop DJT from signing it. All is lost.
This is not true. All is not lost.
The more I think about it, the more persuaded I am that we may get more political mileage out of stopping the bill in the next stage than if we had managed to win or prevent the vote tonight.
We only have a few days but if we stay focused we can stop this bill, and power-slap a few key Republicons at the same time.”
You know what this mean … time to get on the phone in a BIG WAY.
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
- Take advantage of Indivisible’s awesome TrumpTaxScam site and tools to automatically call voters in GOP states.
- Call Governor Baker. Calling governors had an effect in the fight to save the ACA and can have influence in this fight as well. You can refer to this article from Patch.com about how the current versions of the GOP tax bill will affect MA residents specifically.
- Main Office (617) 725-4005
- Springfield Office (413) 784-1200
- Washington, D.C. Office (202) 624-7713
- There’s also an excellent Google Doc with a prioritized call list and other details—super helpful!
- Click over to 5 Calls and let them guide you through who to call on this issue.
- Call your own legislators to make sure they’re doing the right thing.
Here are a few talking points from a good overview Facebook post.
This bill is unacceptable because:
- It increases the structural deficit;
- its projections about paying for itself are unsupported by the historical record, and its assumptions about growth are unrealistic;
- it provides stimulus at a time when we are at near full employment, and
- it phases out benefits for lower and middle income people over time, while increasing those for the wealthiest Americans, making it both deceptive and grossly redistributive toward the ultra-wealthy. Consequently, this bill, which is neither Conservative, nor Republican, simply a handout for a very narrow band of special interests, will weaken the economy and burden the already overburdened working Americans.
ADDITIONAL READING & INFO:
- Forbes: GOP Tax Bill Is The End Of All Economic Sanity In Washington
The New Yorker: The Passage of the Senate Republican Tax Bill Was a Travesty
- PBS: These controversial items tucked into the Senate tax bill have little to do with taxes
TO REACH YOUR MOCs:
1. Reach MOCs via the Capitol Switchboard: (202) 224-3121
2. Look up your elected senators and reps.
3. Use Faxzero to send free faxes from your computer to your Senator or Congressperson.
4. Use Resistbot to send faxes to your senators right from your phon.: Text the word “RESIST” to 50409.
Photo Credit: Paul A Bischoff Flickr via Compfight cc