GOAL: Extend Funding for CHIP
DEADLINE: Today 10-4-17
9 million kids in our country receive health insurance from CHIP (Children’s Health Insurance Program). This week, Congress let funding for CHIP lapse. CHIP is a federal-state partnership program that provides health coverage options for children whose families earn too much to qualify for Medicaid but too little to afford marketplace or other coverage.
Affordable, high-quality, consistent coverage for nearly 186,000 Massachusetts children is at risk without a CHIP funding extension at current levels.
A delayed CHIP extension forces states to freeze or limit children’s coverage. Uncertainty about the amount or timeline for continuation of funding places undue stress on families and states.
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
CALL your US Congress members and US Senators and ask them to Vote YES to extend CHIP funding.
“The Senate Finance and the House Energy and Commerce committees have scheduled votes Wednesday (10/4) on legislation to extend CHIP funding. If both approve their individual bills, floor votes could come quickly, and then both houses would need to resolve any differences.” (NPR)
ADDITIONAL READING & INFO:
- CHIP in Massachusetts
- CHIP – Georgetown University Health Policy Institute
- 9 million kids get insurance through CHIP. Congress is about to let its funding expire
- Lapse In Federal Funding Imperils Children’s Health Coverage
TO REACH YOUR MOCs:
1. Reach MOCs via the Capitol Switchboard: (202) 224-3121
2. Look up your elected senators and reps.
3. Use Faxzero to send free faxes from your computer to your Senator or Congressperson.
4. Use Resistbot to send faxes to your senators right from your phon.: Text the word “RESIST” to 50409.